Student Life

Division of Student Development

The Division of Student Development offers a wide variety of opportunities for academic and personal growth, leadership development and organizational involvement. Specific offices under the Vice President for Student Development include Office of Admissions (Undergraduate), Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities, Counseling and Testing Center, Dean of Students, Office of Disability Accommodation, Student Financial Aid and Scholarships, Student Health and Wellness Center, International Studies and Programs, Learning Center, New Student and Mentor Programs, Recreational Sports, Student Activities and Organizations, Student Employment and Career Services and Student Legal Advisor.

The Division of Student Development is committed to the improvement of the quality of life for students and to the enhancement of their competencies as productive citizens. The division advocates responsible behavior, supports learning and promotes the attainment of personal and cultural goals through varied activities. For information, call (940) 565-4909.

The Learning Center

The Learning Center was created to supplement and support academic excellence and life-long learning. A wide range of individual, group and self-help programs and materials is provided to maximize the academic potential of all University of North Texas students. RASSL (Reading and Study Skills Laboratories), Supplemental Instruction, Supplemental Tutoring, Connecting for Success, The Volunteer Tutor Program and the Learning Resource Center are all housed in the center.

Reading and Study Skills Laboratory (RASSL) is a non-credit workshop designed to help students enhance their skills in reading, studying, note taking, goal setting and time management. The groups are small and students are encouraged to share their experiences with academic difficulties and success.

Speed Reading is a non-credit workshop designed to increase reading speed while maintaining or improving retention rate.

Supplemental Instruction and Supplemental Tutoring place peer tutors in difficult courses to help students clarify material.

Volunteer Tutors offer their time and expertise for free. The tutors are upper-class students who have done well in the courses they tutor and are eager to help others succeed.

The Learning Resource Library provides books and computer programs to assist students with preparation for graduate school admission exams.

Connecting for Success provides comprehensive linkages to academic resources throughout the university. Students can contact those resources that might be most helpful to them.

Career Opportunities Center

See "Student Employment and Career Services."

Commuter and Nontraditional Student Services.

The university provides a number of services to commuter students through various offices. Special assistance with problems and liaison for proper referrals, in addition to self-help materials for off-campus living, day-care and other issues is available through Commuter Services. Additionally, students can register for the car-pool and ride share program online at Commuter Services is located in the Student Activities Center, University Union, Suite 2161, or call (940) 565-3807 for more information.

The University Union provides lounge areas, rental lockers (available on a semester basis) and food service. Contact the University Union Office at (940) 565-3805, for more information.

Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities

The Center for Student Rights and Responsibilities (CSRR) is responsible for addressing student conduct, enforcing university policies and procedures and providing students with the resources necessary to resolve their own personal disputes. The CSRR administers student disciplinary procedures in accordance with the Code of Student Conduct and maintains official disciplinary records. However, emphasis is placed on educating students about their rights and responsibilities as members of the University of North Texas community. In addition, the CSRR seeks to educate the campus community through literature and training about the services it offers. The office provides policy interpretation and rights adjustment as well as handling complaints against students. The CSRR is committed to enhancing students' competencies as productive citizens and promoting life-long learning and community standards.

Cooperative Education and Internships

The university offers off-campus learning opportunities through the Cooperative Education and Internships Program. Cooperative education experiences are processes of education that formally integrate students' academic studies with practical experience in paid positions that involve multiple work semesters with participating employers. Through this integration of study and practical experience, students may enhance their academic knowledge, their personal development and their professional preparation. The teaching faculty and on-site supervisors share in the education of cooperative education students.

Alternating semester (full-time) and parallel (part-time) positions are available through the program for undergraduate students who have a 2.5 or higher grade point average and have completed at least 12 hours at UNT. Graduate students must be admitted to a graduate degree program, have a 3.0 or higher GPA and must have completed at least 9 semester hours.

The Cooperative Education and Internships Program also facilitates internships. Internships involve only one semester of work related to a major. Requirements for internships vary by academic department, and information regarding them is available through Cooperative Education and Internships.

No more than 12 credit hours for bachelor's degree candidates and 6 credit hours for master's degree candidates may be earned through internships or cooperative education courses. Internship or cooperative education credit hours may be applied as part of the major or professional field, approved supporting courses, as free electives, or as academic credit in addition to degree requirements, as determined by the appropriate academic dean.

The Cooperative Education and Internships Progam is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Cooperative Education, [Accreditation Council for Cooperative Education, Stevens Institute of Technology, Castle Point, Hoboken, NJ, 07030; (201) 216-5368].

For further information, contact Cooperative Education and Internships, Chilton Hall, Room 204.

Counseling and Testing Services

The center provides confidential, professional psychological services to currently enrolled students. Faculty and staff may be seen on an emergency basis for evaluation. Individual counseling related to personal, social and emotional concerns; vocational counseling for help with selection of a major field of study or career plan; educational counseling; and marital and premarital counseling are offered at the center. All individual counseling is limited to eight sessions.

Group counseling is offered at various times in such areas as improving interpersonal skills, stress management, overcoming eating disorders and coping with sexual abuse, among others.

In addition to the vocational interest, aptitude, personality and other tests used in counseling, the center also serves as a national testing center and computer-based testing site for the GRE, GMAT and TOEFL. Information and application forms for various national tests are available in the center's office.

The center is in the University Union, Suite 231; (940) 565-2741.

Dean of Students

The Dean of Students Office is a resource for UNT undergraduate and graduate students in all programs, schools and colleges. The Dean of Students Office provides services to enhance student success, learning and personal development during the college transition period and beyond. It serves as a liaison for the student body with family, faculty, staff and the local community to provide a framework for students' successful adjustment to college life, learning, academic success and personal development, consistent with the academic mission of the university.

Staff members of this office are available for general counseling or information and assistance with any phase of campus life. In emergency situations (i.e., death in the family) special assistance can be provided to students for either verification or notification of illness, death or other absences or for assistance with medical withdrawals. The Dean of Students Office handles social adjustment problems, and provides self-development opportunities and enrichment activities via a number of sub-units, including Student Employment, the Student Activities Center and Disability Accommodation. For information, call (940) 565-2648 or visit Suite 216 in the University Union.

International Studies and Programs

International Studies and Programs and its constituent units assist all students, citizens of the U.S. and of other countries who wish to include an international experience in their education, and assist UNT administration, faculty, colleges and departments in the development and conduct of international education activities and programs on and off campus. International Studies and Programs also directs and supports activity office constituent units. All units are located in Kendall Hall (e-mail:; web site:

The Intensive English Language Institute provides English and academic skills instruction to students whose first language is not English. Call (940) 565-2003.

The International Admissions Office assists students with admissions advising. Call (940) 565-2442.

The International Advising office assists students and scholars with matters related to immigration and maintaining student status. Call (940) 565-2195 or visit the web site (

The International Welcome Center is a "home away from home" for international students. It provides orientation programs, campus and community information and activity. Call (940) 565-2209, or visit for information.

The Sponsored Student Center tailors programs for UNT international students sponsored by governments, agencies, businesses or other universities; provides special orientations, personal and academic counseling; and reports academic progress to sponsors with direct invoicing for tuition and fees. Call (940) 565-2196.

The Study Abroad Center develops and advises for study, work and volunteer programs throughout the world, and assists faculty, staff and students with exchanges, Fulbright Programs, travel logistics, ID cards and hostel membership, as well as hosting students from other countries on the UNT campus. Students wishing to transfer credits from international institutions should contact the SAC for pre-approval. Call (940) 565-2207 or visit for information.

International Student Health Insurance Policy

All international students are required to have health insurance before enrolling at the university. Evidence of health insurance coverage must be presented annually to International Advising prior to registration. Coverage must be in effect continuously from the time the student initially enrolls at the University of North Texas through all enrollment periods until final separation from the university.

Student Activities and Organizations

The Student Activities and Organizations office provides organization training and advisement, special events planning, and official registration

for all student organizations at the university. For information, call (940) 565-3807.

A wide array of clubs and organizations offer UNT students friendships with people of similar interests and avenues for organized and meaningful service.

Numerous national honor societies offer recognition to the student who exhibits outstanding academic achievements and campus participation. Numerous national professional societies and departmental clubs offer involvement within the academic disciplines.

The campus has an active Greek system of national Greek letter fraternities and sororities that sponsor such activities as Greek Week, social events and fund-raising drives for local charities.

Still other clubs offer a chance to join in activities with people of mutual interests. Almost every interest, from religion to residence hall improvement and from intercultural orientation to sports clubs, has its organized club on campus.

For a complete list of academic, service and social clubs at UNT, contact Student Activities and Organizations, University Union (940) 565-3877.

Student Employment Services

Student Employment (SE) assists students in their job search by providing employment opportunities both on and off campus year round. Students who have been accepted to UNT and are currently enrolled or who have been enrolled within the previous year are eligible to access services. Students can be referred to as many as three on-campus jobs per day and unlimited number of off-campus positions.

Students may view on- and off-campus job opportunities on KNTU-FM 88.1 at 9:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. A job line (369-JOBS) operates from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday, and job fairs are conducted in early fall and spring for students seeking off-campus employment. Once a student is hired for an on-campus position, the student is eligible to sign up for customer service training in the C.A.S.A. (Creating a Service Attitude) program.

Students may apply for positions in person, Monday through Friday, between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. in the Student Employment and Career Services office, University Union, Suite 320.

Career Services (CS) provides the following services to students in all degree programs and at every degree level, undergraduate, master's and doctoral.

In-class presentations and guest lectures are offered on career-related topics, including "Resume Writing," Job Search Strategies," "Interviewing Skills" and "What Can I Do With a Major In ..."

The Career Research Library and Career Laboratory have publications, corporate portfolios and computer programs to assist students in identifying and exploring career and employment information (employment outlook, salary surveys and employer contact information). It is open to all students and alumni.

The online career planning guide (at assists students and alumni in assessing their career interests, exploring career options and accessing relevant information for making career-related decisions.

Career and job development advisers assist students and alumni in career exploration and research, resume writing, interview preparations, career transitions and general job search strategies.

A web-based career services job listings system contains current job vacancy announcement from UNT-friendly employers. Students and alumni must formally register with the CS in order to utilize this service.

More than 300 employers come to UNT each year to conduct on-campus employee recruiting. The CS links students and alumni job seekers with hiring professionals. More than 100 school districts and more than 200 business, industry, government and public service employers visit campus annually. Registration is required.

Alumni life-career development resources are provided at no cost. Registration is required.

The office of Student Employment and Career Services is located in the University Union, Suite 320. Employment Services is available by telephone at (940) 565-2425 and on the web at Career Services is available by telephone at (940) 565-2105 and on the web at

The Student Legal Advisor

The Student Legal Advisor provides advice and assistance to currently enrolled students who have paid their student activities fees. This office also maintains a variety of legal publications for student use. Mediation sessions are conducted by trained neutral mediators. The office is located in the University Union, Room 324; or call (940) 565-2614 to schedule an appointment.

Student Activities Information and Services

Adaptive Computer Laboratory

Any UNT student, faculty and staff with a valid UNT ID card can use the Adaptive Computer Laboratory facilities. Students registered with UNT's Office of Disability Accommodation (ODA) have preemptive privileges when the laboratory is full or when specific adaptive equipment is needed. Students are encouraged to visit the laboratory early in the semester and become familiar with equipment and services.

The Adaptive Computer Laboratory is located in Chilton Hall, Room 116. Chilton Hall is on the corner of Chestnut and Avenue C across from the Health and Wellness Center. To contact the Adaptive Computer Laboratory, call (940) 565-4750, TDD Access through Relay Texas: (800) 735-2989, or write to:

University of North Texas

Adaptive Computer Laboratory

P.O. Box 311340

Denton, TX 76203-1340

The laboratory also may be accessed through the UNT web site (

Aerie Yearbook

The Aerie is the only official pictorial history of the university. It is distributed each fall and contains photos of students, organization members and candid photos of activities and events. For additional information, contact the Aerie Office on level four of the University Union, (940) 565-3822.

Athletic Organizations and Activities

Both the Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreational Sports programs at UNT offer a wide range of opportunities for recreation. Accessible sports facilities include an 18-hole golf course, a weight-training building, 10 lighted tennis courts, swimming pool, two gymnasiums, Fouts Field and the Coliseum. Facilities in the Coliseum include handball and racquetball courts and gymnastics equipment. The Physical Education Building contains a multipurpose gymnasium, handball/racquetball courts and an indoor aquatics area.

The university offers extensive intramural, sport clubs, open recreation and recreational instruction programs to provide students with recreational and competitive opportunities. Any student enrolled for residence credit hours may participate in intramurals through one of three leagues: residence hall, Greek or independent, which have men's, women's, and co-recreational teams. Team sports are arranged on a round-robin basis, and individual and dual sports are set up by elimination tournaments, meets and special events

The sport club program provides an opportunity for UNT students to compete against other colleges and universities in the Texas area. The clubs include Aikido, badminton, baseball, cycling, billiards, fencing, lacrosse, in-line hockey, ultimate disc, men's rugby, men's volleyball and sailing.

The recreational instruction program offers students exciting activities for a small fee. Step aerobics, aerobics, body sculpting, step interval, kickboxing, introduction to step, cardio kickboxing and other activities provide the student with a variety of programs from which to choose. A Learn to Swim Program for children of students, faculty and staff is also offered for children ages 5-12.

The open recreation program in the Physical Education Building offers currently enrolled students, current and retired faculty and staff, and their guests drop-in activity in swimming, basketball, handball, racquetball and volleyball.

A weight room for recreational use is located in the Men's Gymnasium and offers BodyMasters equipment, Stairmasters, Universal treadmills, Quinton treadmills, Stairmaster freerunner elipticals, Precor elipticals, free weights and exercise bikes to students, faculty and staff, and their families, who have a valid ID card. For information concerning hours of operation, call the Recreational Sports Office at (940) 565-2275.

Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management

The Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management provides the administrative structure for continuing education academic programs and public service to meet professional education and career development requirements of adult groups.

Continuing education programs (conferences, seminars, workshops, etc.) for all of the schools and colleges of the university are coordinated by the center. This assistance includes financial planning in accordance with official university procedures; arrangements for housing, food service, meeting space, transportation and audiovisual equipment; and assistance with preregistration and on-site registration.

Continuing education credit is awarded by the center and these records, which are kept on permanent file, are reported to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as an important part of the accreditation process.

Numerous minicourses on general interest topics, GRE/GMAT preparation classes, and extension credit courses are offered throughout the year.

The center is responsible for arranging and scheduling the use of university facilities for all

off-campus groups and for faculty and staff groups for purposes other than credit classes.

The Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management is located in Chilton Hall, Room 289. For additional information, call (940) 565-2656, or write to the director, P.O. Box 305344, Denton, TX 76203-5344.

Student Ethnic Enrichment Center

The Student Ethnic Enrichment Center (formerly Center for Cultural Diversity) opened on November 3, 1995, to serve all UNT students, faculty and staff. The center's primary purpose is to support and enhance a welcoming environment at UNT, which fosters communication across cultures and honors all people. The center addresses the needs of minority groups on campus; however, the overall focus is inclusive.

The center serves as a central resource for a broad spectrum of campus individuals and groups looking for specific information. Staff members collect and make available information of special interest to various groups, including information about internships and scholarships, as well as conferences, exchange programs, guest speakers, workshops and other educational opportunities. Additionally, the center provides and promotes cultural awareness, both on campus and in the broader community.

The center is located in the University Union, Room 422.

Center for Media Production (CMP)

The Center for Media Production is a full-service media production center that serves the faculty, staff and students of UNT. The center features professional-quality audio, graphics, photography, video and multi-media production.

The graphics area provides design, typesetting, layout, and illustration services for projects such as brochures, programs, booklets, thesis diagrams, poster presentations, display units, signs, posters and web pages. The graphics area also offers digital output, computer scanning, color inkjet prints, lamination and dry mounting.

The photography area provides location, copy stand and studio photographic services (including portraits); digital photography and printing; develops and prints black and white film; handles processing and printing of color slides and negatives; and makes color slides from printed illustration, typography, graphics or original art.

The audio area features a studio equipped for narration recording, digital editing and on-location recording of campus events.

The video area features broadcast quality videotaping, either on location or recorded and edited in the video production studio. Video editing features the Media 100 digital video editing system. Format transfer and VHS duplication is available from BETACAM, 3/4-inch, Hi8, SVHS/VHS, PAL/SECAM and mini-DVD.

The multi-media area features design and production of interactive multi-media and Power Point presentations, CD duplication and DVD mastering.

The center is in Chilton Hall, Room 211; (940) 565-2180 or visit the CMP web site (

Dining Service

Variety in selections, freedom of choice, an all-you-can-eat policy and self-serve salad bars are features of UNT's residence hall dining service. Students living in residence halls on campus are required to choose a five-day or seven-day meal plan. An open dining policy allows all students and guests access to any dining area continuously from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. with a grill operation open until 12 midnight.

Students living off campus may purchase full-service meal plans in the Dining Services office at current board rates. Faculty, staff, students and guests without a meal plan may purchase meals individually with cash or by use of a prepaid ID Plus Card. A 10 percent discount is deducted from the purchase with the use of ID Plus.

The Dining Services office is located in Crumley Hall, Room 132. For more information about meal plans please call (940) 565-2462.

Distance Education (World Wide Web and Videoconference)

The University of North Texas offers a selection of undergraduate and graduate courses via distributed learning, which includes courses delivered via the World Wide Web and videoconference. Off-campus videoconference sites are located around the Dallas­Fort Worth Metroplex and at various sites across Texas and the United States. Web-based courses can be taken from any location worldwide that has Internet access and the appropriate computer equipment available.

For further information, consult the "Distance Education and Web-based Courses" section of the Schedule of Classes or check out the UNT Distributed Learning web site (

Eagle Mail

UNT has designated e-mail as an official form of communication between the university and students at UNT provides e-mail accounts to all students registered at the university with no special fee imposed for those accounts. Students are automatically assigned e-mail accounts and user IDs and are given computer storage for a reasonable volume of mail; however, it is the student's responsibility to activate the account. Students are responsible for reading their e-mail frequently enough to receive important communications from the university.

Facilities Use Policy

The term facilities describes all structures on the campus or otherwise under the control of the university. Use of such facilities is governed by the university's "Facilities Use" policy and "Off-Campus Speakers" policy. Requests may be made through the Facilities Scheduling Office, Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management at (940) 565-2600.

Student organizations wishing to reserve facilities should contact the Student Activities Center, University Union, second level (940) 565-3807.

Fine Arts Series

The UNT Fine Arts Series had its origin as the Lyceum Series in 1924 during the Normal College era. The series has continued for 99 consecutive seasons to provide a wide variety of the visual, performing and literary arts for the university and the greater Dallas­Fort Worth Metroplex communities. Coordinated by a committee composed of faculty, staff and students, the Fine Arts Series provides students with leadership opportunities. Students may develop arts management skills, participate in the selection of artists and their
works, and learn to evaluate and discern among various artists.

UNT students may receive free tickets to performances by presenting a current UNT ID to the ticket seller. Faculty and staff are admitted at half price. General public tickets are available at the Information Center in the University Union or at the door for each presentation.

Gateway Center

The Gateway Center is a multipurpose facility housing class and conference rooms, a banquet facility, the Club at Gateway Center (formerly the Club at College Inn), and offices for the UNT System Chancellor and his staff, the North Texas Exes and the UNT Foundation.

Graduate Student Council

The Graduate Student Council was established in 1968 to assure formal avenues of communication between representatives of the graduate student body and both the dean of the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies and the University Graduate Council. It serves as an advisory council to facilitate an interchange of views and information between these groups. Two members of the Graduate Student Council are elected annually to serve as voting members of the University Graduate Council. Graduate Student Council members also serve on other graduate council and universitywide committees. The president of the council can be reached by contacting the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies.

Student Health and Wellness Center

The Student Health and Wellness Center is equipped with examination and treatment rooms, a clinical laboratory, pharmacy and x-ray. Medical services are available when school is in session to enrolled students paying the medical service fee. No medical care is available between semesters or on official university holidays. For a major emergency, call 911. The Student Health and Wellness Center operates on an appointment system. Call 565-2333 to make an appointment.

Clinic and pharmacy hours of operation: fall and spring semesters Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.; Saturday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.; mini-mester and summer sessions Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The health and wellness center professional staff includes licensed physicians and nurses; certified lab technologists; certified medical radiological technologists; registered pharmacists; certified health educator; and administrative, business and medical records personnel. Also available are psychiatrists, an allergist, a registered dietitian, registered massage therapists and a personal fitness trainer.

Office visits to a physician or nurse are free, but charges are assessed for ancillary services and special supplies and treatments. The student may pay with cash, check, Eagle Express (ID card) or credit card, or make billing arrangement. Statements will be sent to the parent with the student's written permission.

The Health and Wellness Center files patients' insurance claims with most carriers. Other patients receive information at the time of service to file with their insurance carrier. The Health and Wellness Center is not a provider on the University employee health insurance plan.

Medical information is confidential and is not released to others without a release signed by the patient. If a parent requests information for a minor, the Health and Wellness Center is obligated to provide the information.

A pharmacy is located inside the Health and Wellness Center. Prescriptions from private physicians can be filled at the pharmacy. The pharmacy accepts some PCS and some Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas Prescription Drug Cards with co-payment.

The Health Resource Center provides individual health counseling, outreach programs to campus groups and special programs for specific health needs. Contact the Health Resource Center director at 565-2787 for a complete list of offerings.

A licensed nurse administers allergy injections. Patients must bring their antigen and current orders (date cannot exceed one year) from their allergist. For more information, obtain a current "Allergy Policy" from the Student Health and Wellness Center.

The Student Health and Wellness Center recommends that all students have current immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, rubella, mumps, measles, and hepatitis B. It is also recommended that you consider receiving the meningitis vaccination.

Students who have their medical fees waived must pay a user fee each semester to be eligible for Health and Wellness Center services.

Health Insurance Program

A group student health insurance plan is offered for students enrolled at UNT. Application forms are available in the Health and Wellness Center. It is compulsory for international students on non-immigrant visas to carry medical and hospitalization insurance.

International students are billed with tuition and fees unless they have alternate insurance coverage. Waivers of this university-endorsed policy are available in International Advising Kendall Hall, Room 171, for UNT students who show proof of comparable alternate insurance coverage. Proof must be presented before the 12th class day of a long semester (4th class day of a summer term; 2nd class day of a mini-mester).

Living Accommodations

Graduate men and women may live in university-owned residence halls or in off-campus housing.

College Inn, Santa Fe Square and Mozart Square are targeted for upper-class housing, although this is not guaranteed. More information regarding university-owned residence halls may be obtained by writing to the Housing Department, University of North Texas, P.O. Box 311310, Denton, TX 76203-1310, or calling (940) 565-2610.

Off-Campus Housing. Students who are not required to live in university housing under the terms of the housing policy may live where they choose. The university does not assume any responsibility in off-campus housing arrangements but does support the federal housing policies that housing owners not discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, disability, veteran status or national origin.

The Student Association publishes an apartment evaluation survey that is available in their office on the fourth level of the University Union.

North Texas Exes (Alumni Association)

The North Texas Exes' purpose is to enhance the mission of the university through increased alumni participation. The association represents all schools, colleges, students, faculty and staff. An application for membership can be found in the association office or through the UNT web site ( Call (800) UNT-1153 (868-1153) for more information.

Organizations Policy

The University of North Texas recognizes the right of any group of students, faculty or staff to form a voluntary organization for purposes not forbidden by the laws of the United States or the state of Texas or university policy. All organizations that include enrolled students as members must register each long semester with the Student Activities and Organizations office.

Policies regulating the organization, functioning, sponsorship and privileges of registered or recognized organizations are available from Student Activities and Organizations in Suite 216I of the University Union (940) 565-3807.


Parking regulations and maps detailing parking areas may be obtained at the Parking Office in the Sullivant Public Safety Center at 1700 Wilshire. Parking permits are available through a number of sources based on the type of permit desired. Commuter parking permits are sold at the UNT Bookstore beginning one week prior to the first class day. Residence hall parking must be purchased through the Housing Assignment Office located in Crumley Hall. These permits should be requested as part of the housing enrollment process.

Religious Activities and Organizations

Campus ministries and student centers sponsored by different denominations and the churches of Denton, as well as campus religious organizations, offer opportunities for personal counseling and for social and spiritual involvement.

A list of campus religious organizations is available in the Student Activities and Organizations office, University Union, or call (940) 565-3807.

Speech and Hearing Center

The University of North Texas Speech and Hearing Center offers diagnostic and remediation services for adults and children presenting communication disorders.

Specific services provided include audiological tests, hearing aid evaluations, aural rehabilitation programs as well as evaluations and therapy programs for articulation, language, voice and fluency disorders.

The Speech and Hearing Center is located at 907 West Sycamore. Services are free to enrolled students. Fees for services are charged to all others based on a sliding scale according to gross income and number of dependents.

Student Government Association

The goals of the Student Government Association (SGA) are to promote the interests and opinions of the student body, to promote projects beneficial to the students and to act as an official voice of the students on matters of policy and student welfare.

Existing Student Government Association services include the Eagle's Nest Interorganizational Council, the Eagle Calls directory and the Guide to Off-Campus Housing, among others. The Student Government Association offices are located on the second level of the University Union.

The North Texas student can become involved in SGA through election or appointment. The president, vice president and a majority of the representatives are elected; executive officers are appointed by the SGA president, subject to the approval of the representative assembly. Association meetings are held every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. in the University Union, Room 411, during the long terms and are open to the public. For more information, call (940) 565-3850, or visit Suite 216, University Union.

University Police

The University Police are primarily concerned with the safety of all members of the university community and the protection of state and personal property.

Located at 1700 Wilshire in the Sullivant Public Safety Center, the department operates 24 hours a day. University Police officers are licensed by the state of Texas, and they are empowered with the same authority as municipal policy officers. The University Police shares an area of jurisdiction with the City of Denton Police Department and is responsible for the enforcement of state and local laws, as well as university rules and regulations. It offers services such as crime prevention programs, criminal investigation, escort services, shuttle bus transportation, and parking and visitor information. Additionally, 32 emergency phones are located throughout campus, allowing immediate communication with the University Police.

For more information, contact the University Police at (940) 565-3000, or P.O. Box 310948, Denton, TX 76203-0948.

University Program Council

The University Program Council (UPC) offers a co-curricular learning experience through involvement in student-led programming committees. UPC provides movies, outdoor recreation and off-campus travel, concerts, dances and traditional events, arts and lectures, promotion and other special events to the UNT campus and Denton community. UPC is part of the University Union and is funded in part by the union fee paid by students. UPC welcomes members for their suggestions and ideas. Committee membership is open to any interested student. The UPC Office is located on the fourth level of the University Union.

University Union

The University Union is the gathering place for the campus. The Union provides services and programs that members of the campus community need in their daily lives and creates an environment for getting to know and understand others through formal and informal associations.

A 500-seat theater, meeting and banquet facilities, as well as an exceptional catering department, are available to campus or community groups. A food court, complete with an outside terrace seating area, provides a variety of menu offerings. The Corner convenience store has a large selection of "grab and go" meal options, gourmet coffees, ice cream and bakery items. The Avesta provides a casual dining atmosphere with gourmet cuisine for lunch, Monday through Friday.

The Union also offers a games and recreation center, TV viewing, a retail catalog order service, graphics and reproduction center, a copy center and a variety of entertainment at almost any time of the day. ATMs, pay phones and public fax services are found throughout the facility. At the Information Center, level three, check cashing, discount tickets to local attractions, lost and found, and updates on programs are available.

Also housed in the Union are Student Activities and Organizations, Student Association, banking services, Office of Disability Accommodations, UNT Bookstore, Student Employment and Career Services, Counseling and Testing, Dean of Students, U.S. Post Office, Student Ethnic Enrichment Center, Student Volunteer Center, and the Women's Center.

For further information contact the Union at (940) 565-3805 [TDD (800) 735-2989]. Contact Verde! Reservations Office for catering, event planning and facility use at (940) 565-3804.

University Writing Center

The University Writing Center provides free tutoring and workshops for students from the freshman through the graduate levels. Individualized and group work in such areas as punctuation, grammar, sentence structure and essay writing is provided by experienced tutors five days and four evenings a week for 13 weeks during each long term and five weeks during each summer term.

The Writing Center also houses the UNT grammar/writing hotline, (940) 565-4311. Students, faculty, staff and community members who have questions about any aspect of grammar or writing may call the hotline Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The primary purpose of the Writing Center is to promote more and better-written composition by students at all levels. Students are encouraged to visit the Writing Center, in the Auditorium Building, Room 105, to discuss their writing abilities.

Volunteer Center

The Volunteer Center Offers programs and services designed to provide a link between those who want to serve and those who need assistance. A collaborative effort between the Dean of Students Office and the School of Community Service, the center serves as a clearing housing and information resource to potential volunteers as well as agencies, organizations and campus departments that need volunteers. The Volunteer Center is located in the University Union, Suite 430. For more information call (940) 565-3527.

Women's Center

The Women's Center offers programs, services and resources that enlighten, support and enhance the university community and serves as a central coordinating agency for campus and community organizations. The center also offers activities in observance of national projects such as Women's History Month, a self defense course for women, as well as various support groups and childcare information. The center provides opportunities to the university that promote a broader understanding of the diverse experiences of women. The Women's Center is located in the University Union, Suite 216I. Call (940) 565-3527 for information.

Special Services

Office of Disability Accommodation

An equal opportunity institution, the University of North Texas complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act in making reasonable adjustments in its policies for qualified students with disabilities who wish to participate in its education programs. The Office of Disability Accommodation assists with registration and scheduling and furnishes certain educational auxiliary aids for students whose disabilities necessitate special accommodations. Students requiring special accommodations because of a disability should notify the Office of Disability Accommodation at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester of enrollment.

For further information, contact the Office of Disability Accommodation, University Union, Room 324; (940) 565-4323. TDD access: (940) 565-2958 or (940) 369-8652.

Services for the Blind

Appointments with the Commission for the Blind to provide support services to visually disabled college students in the North Central Texas area may be made by calling a counselor through the access number (800) 252-5204. To be eligible for services, a person must have a visual disability constituting a vocational disability that can reasonably be expected to be overcome by services provided. Students may make application to the office in their home community or call the contact number for more information.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Texas Rehabilitation Commission provides services for qualified individuals who have physical, learning or emotional impairments. Examples of these are diabetes, hearing impairment, heart problems, orthopedic problems, dyslexia, arthritis, adjustment disorders and countless other disorders that can create difficulty in successfully mastering college-level classroom training. Services include financial assistance, job placement, counseling and guidance, and physical restoration.

Application for services must be made through a representative of the commission. Students interested in applying for services should contact the office in their home community or contact Texas Rehabilitation Commission, 116 E. Prairie St., Denton, TX 76201; (940) 383-1521.

Top | Graduate Catalog General Information | UNT Graduate Catalog Shortcuts | Additional Graduate Literature