The general policies of the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies are determined by the Graduate Council and administered by the dean.

Standards, fees and other requirements may be modified at any time by the Graduate Council.

Academic Misconduct

Cheating and plagiarism are types of academic misconduct for which penalties are described and assessed under the UNT "Code of Student Conduct and Discipline" outlined in the Student Guidebook. The following statement on academic misconduct, adopted by the Graduate Council, is based on the Code of Student Conduct and Discipline.

The term "cheating" includes, but is not limited to, (1) use of any unauthorized assistance in taking quizzes, tests or examinations; (2) dependence upon the aid of sources specifically prohibited by the instructor in writing papers, preparing reports, solving problems or carrying out other assignments; (3) the acquisition, without permission, of tests or other academic material belonging to a faculty or staff member of the university.

The term "plagiarism" includes, but is not limited to, the use, by paraphrase or direct quotation, of the published or unpublished work of another person without full and clear acknowledgment. Plagiarism also includes the unacknowledged use of materials prepared by another person or agency engaged in the selling of term papers or other academic materials.

Specific penalties can be assigned by a faculty member for certain cases of academic misconduct (including cheating and plagiarism). These penalties include: giving a failing grade for the test or assignment; reducing or changing the grade for the test, assignment or course; requiring additional academic work not required of other students; assigning a failing grade in the course. Other specific penalties can be recommended by a faculty member to the appropriate administrative/academic authority, including denying of the degree, expulsion from the university or revocation of a degree already granted.

All graduate students are responsible for making themselves aware of the definitions and implications of academic misconduct. For further information on academic misconduct, penalties and appeal procedures, the student should refer to the "Code of Student Conduct and Discipline" in the Student Guidebook.

Appeal Processes

Students who believe they have not been fairly treated in any aspect of their graduate program have the right of appeal. Grade appeals should be initiated through the instructor. Appeals concerning extension of time to complete a degree should be initiated through the student's major department. Appeals concerning admission to the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies are initiated through the office of the graduate dean. Appeals concerning admission to a particular degree program should be initiated through the student's major department. Appeals regarding specific requirements to complete a degree should be initiated through the student's major department. All other appeals should be initiated through the office of the graduate dean.

The following process applies to grade appeals. Admission decision, time extension appeals will be handled in a different manner. Information about these processes should be sought from either the student's department or the office of the graduate dean.

Grade Appeal Process

1. Any graduate student who believes a grade has been inequitably awarded should first contact the instructor who awarded the grade to discuss the issue and attempt to resolve the differences. Any instructor no longer associated with UNT at the time of the appeal will be represented in these proceedings by the chair of the department in question. In schools and colleges not organized into departments, the dean, or his designated representative, will act as chair. The student who is unable to resolve the differences with the instructor has 30 days following the first class day of the succeeding semester to file a written appeal with the chair of the instructor's department, or of the equivalent administrative unit.

2. The chair may follow any of the four procedures below, or a combination of them.

a. The chair may confer with the instructor.

b. The chair may request that the instructor submit a written reply to the student's complaint.

c. The chair may conduct a meeting of the two parties.

d. The chair may refer the case directly to the appropriate departmental committee, as outlined below.

In following either procedure a, b or c above, the chair should make a judgment on the merits of the case and recommend a specific action in regard to the disputed grade. Either the student or the instructor may appeal the recommendations of the chair.

3. The appropriate departmental committee to hear cases sent directly to it by the chair or appealed to it by either the student or the instructor shall be constituted as follows and shall perform the following duties.

a. It shall be an ad hoc committee consisting of three faculty members. Two of the members will be chosen from the department in which the grade is being questioned, one by the student and the other by the instructor. If either party to the dispute declines to choose a member of the committee, the department chair will select that member. The third faculty member of the committee, who shall serve as chair, will be chosen either from within or without the department by agreement of the student and the instructor. If they cannot agree upon a third member, the member shall be chosen by the chair of the department, with the provision that the student and the instructor may agree to stipulate that the third member of the committee be chosen from a related department or academic administrative unit rather than from the department in question.

b. This ad hoc committee should require written statements from each participant in the dispute. Judgments may be rendered upon the basis of these statements, upon other evidence submitted in support of the statements and upon the basis of oral hearing, if such a hearing seems necessary.

c. The committee must make a recommendation for disposition of the case within 30 days of its appointment.

d. All records in the case will be filed with the chair of the department in which the grade was originally awarded.

4. Either party to the dispute has 15 days following the rendering of the ad hoc committee recommendation to appeal that recommendation to the dean of the graduate school, if the appeal is based solely upon alleged violations of established procedures. Substantive matters, up to and including the refusal of the instructor to act in accordance with the ad hoc committee's recommendation or the student's refusal to accept the verdict, may not be appealed to the graduate dean.

5. The dean of the graduate school shall, after a review of the submitted written materials (and oral hearings if desired), make within 15 days a ruling about procedural questions. The ruling may be appealed by either the student or the instructor to the Appeals Committee of the graduate school.

a. The Appeals Committee will have 30 days from the date of its appointment to complete its work.

b. The Appeals Committee shall operate within the guidelines set out for departmental ad hoc committees in 3b above.

c. All rulings made by the Appeals Committee regarding procedural questions shall be final.

d. All documents related to the case shall be returned to the chair of the originating department for departmental files.

Application for Graduation

It is the responsibility of the student to stay abreast of progress toward the degree and to file the appropriate degree application in the office of the graduate dean. Consult the Academic Calendar for the proper dates. The applicant's grade point average on all graduate work attempted must be at least 3.0 for the application to be accepted.

Because of the time required for receipt of transcripts, students otherwise eligible for graduation who complete their last course or courses elsewhere will not graduate at the end of the semester or summer session in which the work is completed, but will receive their degrees at the close of a subsequent UNT semester or summer session.

Information concerning graduation fees is furnished on request by the office of the graduate dean, and is contained in the annual Tuition and Fee Register, available from the Bursar's Office. Students anticipating graduation should consult the Academic Calendar for final dates for payment of fees and meeting other graduation requirements.

Classification of Graduate Students

Any student who holds a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution is classified as a graduate student, whether or not admission to a degree program has been granted, and is subject to the regulations contained in this catalog concerning graduate students. Records concerning admission, continuation and graduation of such students are maintained in the office of the graduate dean.

Academic counseling services for graduate students are available in the office of the dean at all times when university offices are open. Graduate students should consult the staff of the dean's office for interpretation of any policies governing graduate study. Requirements and procedures for admission to the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies are fully described in an earlier section of this publication.

Classification of Graduate Faculty

A new system for the selection of graduate faculty members was approved by the Graduate Council in October 1992. Under this system, all full-time faculty members of the rank of assistant professor, associate professor, and professor are members of the graduate faculty, but individual faculty members may be classified as Category I, II or III. The qualifications for appointment to a category depend upon the faculty member's record of scholarly, creative and research activities. Category III reflects the highest level of scholarly attainment. Faculty members in any of the three categories may serve on thesis or dissertation committees as a member. Category II faculty members may serve as directors of theses committees and co-directors of dissertation committees. Graduate faculty members in Category III are the only faculty eligible to serve as chairs of dissertation or doctoral lecture recital committees.

Effective August 22, 1994, each faculty member must be a member of the appropriate graduate faculty category to direct new theses or dissertations. A complete listing of graduate faculty members in Category I, II and III is available in the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies and in the main offices of each department, school and college. Students are advised to consult this list regarding the selection of faculty advisers for theses and dissertations.

Courses of Instruction

Courses normally meet one hour per week in lecture for each semester hour of credit. For the exceptions, the course descriptions in each department will show in parentheses following the semester hours of credit the number of clock hours per week devoted to lecture and laboratory. When it appears, the third and final number in these parentheses indicates the number of recitation hours per week.

Individual courses of instruction are subject to change or withdrawal at any time and may not be offered each semester of every year. Any course may be withdrawn from current offerings if the number of registrants is too small to justify conducting the course.

All Courses of Instruction are located in one section at the back of this catalog.

Grading System

Courses numbered 5000 or higher ordinarily are taken by students working toward master's and doctoral degrees; those numbered 6000 or higher are open principally to doctoral students. Under certain restrictions, explained under "Level of Work Required" in the Master's Degree Requirements section of this catalog, senior-level courses (bearing numbers between 4000 and 4999) may be credited toward the master's degree. Any senior-level course taken by a graduate student must receive graduate credit, whether or not the course is applied toward a graduate degree. The graduate student enrolled in a senior course will be expected to complete additional requirements beyond those expected of undergraduates in the same course.

UNT's grading system uses the letters A, B, C, D, F, P, NP, I, PR, W, WF and Z. The letter Z is used to indicate a grade was not properly received and/or recorded for a course.

At the graduate level, no semester credit hours and no grade points are allowed for grades D, F, I, NP, P, PR, W, WF or Z. (Use of E grade was discontinued in 1966; use of X and WX grades was discontinued in 1976.)

A complete record of all previously used grades and grading systems is detailed on the official transcript.

Grade Point Average

The overall grade point average is used to determine student class loads, eligibility for admission to the university and certain programs and eligibility for graduation. It is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points by the total number of semester hours attempted. All GPA calculations are subject to postaudit and correction by the Registrar's Office.

The number of semester hours attempted includes all courses with grades of A, B, C, D, F and WF unless replaced by a later grade. Courses with grades of I, NP, P, PR, W or Z are not counted as courses attempted.

Graduate Credit for Work Experience

Graduate credit will not be granted for knowledge acquired through prior work or performance experience regardless of whether these experiences were of a paid or voluntary nature.

Quality of Work Required

The graduate student must maintain a B average on all courses that receive graduate credit, whether or not the courses are to be applied toward a graduate degree. Grades received in all courses numbered 4000 or higher are included in the computation of the graduate student's grade point average.

The student whose graduate GPA earned at another institution is below B will be required to make up the deficiency either at the other institution or at UNT. This regulation applies not only to graduate work attempted elsewhere before the student was first admitted to the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies at UNT, but also to graduate work attempted elsewhere after the student's admission at UNT.

Students must make satisfactory progress toward completion of degree requirements to remain in good standing within a specific degree program. Students whose progress is unsatisfactory may be removed from the program by the dean on recommendation of the major department or division.

A grade of C or better must be earned in each undergraduate or graduate course assigned as a deficiency by the student's major department. Departments that wish to do so may establish more stringent requirements.

Probation and Suspension

1. College of Business Administration. Special probation and suspension rules apply for all degree-seeking students in the College of Business Administration. Consult the College of Business Administration section of the catalog for further information.

2. All Other Students. A student who fails to achieve the required cumulative average of 3.0 GPA (B average) on all courses carrying graduate credit in a semester will be placed on academic probation for the subsequent semester. If the student achieves a 3.0 semester GPA in the subsequent semester, but the cumulative GPA is still below 3.0, the student will remain on academic probation. The student will be removed from probation when the 3.0 cumulative GPA is achieved. A student who is on probation cannot graduate.

A student who is placed on academic probation who does not receive either a semester or a cumulative 3.0 GPA during the semester of probation will be subject to academic suspension for a period of up to one calendar year before becoming eligible to re-enroll for further graduate courses. Graduate work completed elsewhere during a period of graduate suspension at UNT may not be counted for graduate credit at UNT. After the one-year period of suspension, students may re-enroll in graduate courses under probation with the same probation conditions as previously described. Students who are then suspended a second time without having returned to good academic standing by achieving a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better will be dismissed from the university.

The student whose UNT GPA in graduate work falls below 3.0 must make up the deficit, either by repeating courses in which the grades are low, or by completing other UNT courses with grades high enough to bring the UNT GPA up to 3.0. Low grades made in graduate courses at UNT may not be duplicated at other institutions.

Course Duplications

A student may enroll for a course a second or subsequent time and have it counted as part of the semester's load. If a course is repeated, the last grade recorded will be considered by the dean in certifying the student's eligibility for graduation. Departments may count the highest grade for departmental GPA requirements.

The responsibility for initiating the official recording of a grade duplication lies entirely with the student. However, the Registrar's Office may post duplications at the request of the student's adviser or to update academic status. In the absence of such a request, the Registrar will include a repeated course in the student's cumulative record of hours attempted and grade points earned.

Grade Changes

No grade except I may be removed from a student's record once properly recorded. Changes are not permitted after grades have been filed except to correct clerical errors.

Requests for error correction must be initiated immediately after the close of the semester for which the grade was recorded.

A faculty member who believes an error has been made in calculating or recording a grade may submit in person a request for a grade change to the department chair and the graduate dean. The Registrar accepts requests for grade changes only from the academic deans.

Grade Reports

A grade report for each student is mailed to the permanent address at the close of each semester. It includes a statement of current academic status. If the grade report of the academic status is believed to be in error, the student should contact the Registrar's Office within 30 days following the first class day of the succeeding semester.

At midsemester in the long sessions, instructors may provide individual written warnings to students who are doing unsatisfactory class work. These warnings are mailed from the Registrar's Office upon request of the instructor.

Grade Books

University policy requires that grade books be retained by the departmental chair for five years.


University policy requires that departments retain tests for one year after the semester has been completed or return test to students. If the tests are returned, students are responsible for producing the tests should a grade appeal be necessary.

Pass/No Pass Grading

Graduate students are eligible to enroll for undergraduate courses under the pass/no pass option so long as such courses are not taken to make up undergraduate deficiencies or to meet any graduate degree requirements. Completion of an undergraduate course on the pass/no pass grading system may not be made the basis of a later request to be absolved of any degree requirement.

Any department or college of the university may elect to assign pass/no pass grades in graduate-level courses in which the student is engaged in individual research and is not attending an organized class, and in thesis, dissertation and problems courses. The student should inquire at the office of the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies at the time of registration for such courses whether a letter grade or a pass/no pass grade will be granted. Pass/no pass grades are not taken into account in computing the student's graduate grade point average.

Removal of I

A student may remove a grade of I within one year of receiving the initial grade by completing the stipulated work, obtaining signatures of the instructor and the instructor's academic dean (on a permit form from the dean's office), paying a $5 fee at the Controller's Office and returning the permit form to the instructor. The instructor then files the permit form in the Registrar's Office, along with the grade, and the grade point average is adjusted accordingly. If a student does not complete the stipulated work within the time specified (not to exceed one year after taking the course), the instructor may change the grade of I to a grade of F, if appropriate. The GPA is adjusted accordingly.

A student who could not complete final examinations because of illness may remove a grade of I without payment of the fee. The academic dean is authorized to waive the fee upon certification of illness signed by the attending physician.

Public Information Policy and Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

Pursuant to the provisions and intent of Chapter 552, Texas Government Code, known as the Public Information Act, and the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 as amended, known as the Buckley Amendment, the university has established a policy relating to the accessibility of student information in the custody of the University of North Texas. The UNT FERPA Policy Statement appears in its entirety in the 1997-98 Student Guidebook. Information not covered by FERPA will be released only in accordance with the policy on public information found in policy number 10.6 of the UNT Policy Manual (available in the library and in most departmental offices). Requests for such information must be made in writing.

Directory information regarding the students will be provided upon request to the public unless the student files a request in the Registrar's Office asking to be excluded from the directory or from any other requests for open directory information from outside entities. The request should be submitted prior to the 12th class day in fall and spring terms or the fourth class day in summer terms. A request to withhold information may be submitted after the stated deadline for a term, but information may be released between the deadline and receipt of the request. The file of a student who has asked to be excluded from the directory will remain flagged as such until the student requests that the flag be removed.

Directory information consists of a students full name, address, e-mail address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, classification, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of athletic team members, dates of attendance, degrees, awards received, the last educational agency or institution attended previous to UNT and photograph.

UNT will disclose information from a student's education records only with the written consent of the student, except:

1. to UNT personnel who have an educational interest in the records;

2. to the student;

3. to the student's parent or legal guardian if the student is a dependent for income tax purposes of the parent or legal guardian;

4. to officials of another school, upon request, in which a student seeks or intends to enroll;

5. to certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General and state and local educational authorities, in connection with certain state or federally supported education programs;

6. in connection with a student's request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine the eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid;

7. if required by a state law requiring disclosure that was adopted before November 19, 1974;

8. to organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of the university;

9. to accrediting organization to carry out their functions;

10. to comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena;

11. to an alleged victim of any crime of violence, the results of any institutional disciplinary proceedings against the alleged perpetrator of that crime with respect to that crime.

For information regarding the university's policy on access to records and to request accessibility to university records, contact the Office of the Vice President for Legal Affairs and General Counsel, UNT.


Student Load

Graduate students may schedule as many as 16 hours during any semester of the regular session, or 7 hours in any summer term, if in the latter case the 7-hour load includes a 1-hour course in applied music or a 4-hour laboratory course in a science. For purposes of fulfilling the graduate residence requirement, a load of 9 semester hours is considered to be a full load. Students enrolled only in undergraduate courses, for undergraduate credit, may request special consideration by the graduate dean.

Special restrictions apply to the load permitted to graduate teaching fellows and teaching assistants. The total load of course enrollment and teaching assignment may not exceed 16 semester hours in any long semester. Approval of the graduate dean is required for loads in excess of this amount, but approval will not be granted for a combined load in excess of 18 semester hours.

Enrollment Certification

Enrollment verification and loan deferments are completed in the Registrar's Office based upon the student's having registered and paid tuition and fees according to the following criteria. See "Special Conditions for Financial Aid Recipients" in the Financial Information section of this catalog for loan deferment requirements.


Full Time: long semester, 12 or more hours; summer session, 4 to 6 hours per term.

Three-Quarter Time: long semester, 9 to 11 hours; summer session, 3 hours per term.

Half Time: long semester, 6 to 8 hours; summer session, 2 hours per term.


Full Time: long semester, 9 or more hours; summer session, 3 hours per term.

Three-Quarter Time: long semester, 6 to 8 hours; summer session, 2 hours per term.

Half Time: long semester, 4 to 5 hours; summer session, 1 hour per term.

Extension and correspondence courses are considered non-traditional credit and are excluded for certification purposes.

International students also may request the International Student and Scholar Office (ISSO, Kendall Hall, Room 103) to issue letters of enrollment for the use of foreign governments, embassies, scholarship agencies and banks.

Fractional Credit

Fractional credit may not be earned in any course.


With the written permission of the department chair and the dean of the college or school in which the course is taught, an individual fully eligible to enroll in the university may sit in a class as an auditor without receiving college credit. The auditor's name will not be entered on the class roll, and the instructor will not accept any papers, tests or examinations from the auditor.

Attendance as an auditor may not be made the basis of a claim for credit in the course. Students who are enrolled for credit may audit classes without payment of additional fees; others pay an auditor's fee as shown in the 1997-98 Tuition and Fee Register (available at the Bursar's Office). Only one audit fee is required per semester regardless of the number of courses audited.

Permission cards for auditors are not available during the official registration period, but may be requested in the offices of the academic deans after classes begin.

A person 65 years of age or older may enroll as an auditor and observer without credit and without payment of an audit fee, if space is available and if approved by the department chair and the appropriate dean. Such enrollment entitles the person to library privileges, but not to instruction in applied music, the use of laboratory equipment and supplies, admission to university-sponsored fine arts and athletic events, or health and hospital benefits.


ASSIST, Access Student Service Information Systems by Telephone, (940) 565-3701 is a unique system of menu-driven information available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. During teleregistration and schedule revision, ASSIST is available from 7 a.m. until 10 p.m.

Several general information areas are available on ASSIST 23 hours a day, seven days a week. Main menu selections include:

For complete information regarding ASSIST, see the Schedule of Classes for the semester of enrollment. Wallet guides for teleregistration, ASSIST and FAVORS, Financial Aid Voice Response System, are available in the Registrar's Office.


All registration and student requested schedule changes are conducted via teleregistration. Specific information and instructions as well as dates are found in the Schedule of Classes.

Students also may call ASSIST (940) 565-3701 to hear information regarding their admission status, open sections and course fees, to listen to and obtain a fax copy of their class schedule and/or grades for a particular semester and to pay their fees by credit card.

Late Registration

Students who are unable to enroll during the official registration periods must pay an additional fee to enroll late. See the Schedule of Classes for deadline dates.

Concurrent Enrollment at Another Institution

Graduate students must secure written permission from the graduate dean before registering for any course or courses at another institution while registered for any courses at UNT. (Exception: Enrollment at UNT for courses offered by Texas A&M-Commerce [formerly East Texas State University] or Texas Woman's University under the cooperative enrollment program of the Federation of North Texas Area Universities is not considered to be concurrent enrollment.)

Failure to secure the required permission for concurrent enrollment prior to registration at the second institution may cause UNT to refuse degree credit for the work taken elsewhere. In no case may the combined total of semester hours enrolled for at the two institutions exceed the maximum load permitted to graduate students.

Federation of North Texas Area Universities Enrollment

Under arrangements agreed upon by the members of the Federation of North Texas Area Universities (University of North Texas, Texas A&M-Commerce [TAMU-C, formerly East Texas State University] and Texas Woman's University [TWU]), graduate students in specified degree programs offered jointly by the members of the federation may enroll at their home institution for graduate courses offered by the other two universities. To be eligible for cross-registration at either of the other two universities, students must be admitted to a degree program or be working on a certification plan at the home institution. A list of jointly offered degree programs appears in The University section of this publication.

UNT graduate students who have been admitted to a jointly offered degree program and who wish to enroll for graduate courses offered by one of the other universities should first secure their major adviser's approval of registration for a specific course or courses. The Advising Clearance form and the Department Course Approval form should be presented at the graduate dean's office, Room 354, Eagle Student Services Center, for registration in these courses. Students register at UNT for the desired TAMU-C or TWU courses under the appropriate UNT departmental prefix and course number 5900 or 5910 (for master's-level courses) or 6900 or 6910 (for doctoral-level courses). Section numbers for such enrollment are 790 through 799. The course title appearing on the UNT academic transcript will be identical to that of the course as offered by the other institution. Class schedules for both TAMU-C and TWU may be consulted in the office of the graduate dean, UNT.

The registration procedure described above is available only to graduate students admitted to one of the degree programs jointly offered by the federation, and applies to graduate courses only.

Evening and Saturday Classes

A large number of classes at the graduate level are scheduled for one three-hour meeting per week during the spring and fall semesters, usually on Saturday morning or on a weekday evening. These classes carry residence credit, thus enabling many people in the Dallas-Fort Worth area to pursue graduate study while continuing their employment. Consult the Schedule of Classes, available prior to spring and fall registration, for schedule details. A few of these classes also are available during summer sessions. Again, consult the Schedule of Classes.

Off-Campus Courses

Many graduate courses for residence credit are available at various locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Registration procedures for off-campus residence courses are the same as for courses offered on the UNT campus. Initial application for admission to the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies must be submitted to the graduate dean's office on the Denton campus. Information concerning specific off-campus courses is available prior to and during each registration period.

Students considering enrollment for courses at off-campus centers are reminded of the rule of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, that at least one-third of the semester hours required for any graduate degree from UNT must be completed in courses on the Denton campus.

Course Changes

Adding Courses

Graduate students must initiate all requests for adding courses in the office of the dean of the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies. Consult the Academic Calendar for dates during which adds are allowed.

Dropping Courses

Students who wish to drop a course before the 12th class day (summer term, 4th class day) may do so in the Registrar's Office or by teleregistration, (940) 387-9646. After the 12th/4th class day, students must first receive the written consent of their instructor prior to dropping a course. The instructor may withhold consent for students to drop for any reason for which the instructor has informed students in writing at the beginning of the semester. Students applying for financial aid are required to notify the Financial Aid Office before dropping any class to learn how it will affect current or future financial aid eligibility.

The grade of W is recorded for any course dropped with the instructor's consent prior to the end of the sixth week of classes (summer term, eight class sessions). After that time the student must have a passing grade for the instructor to assign a grade of W for a dropped course; otherwise, the grade WF is recorded.

Instructors may drop students with grades of WF from courses for non-attendance at any time after the completion of the sixth week of classes (summer term, eight class sessions). See "Class Attendance" above.

No student may drop any course after Tuesday of a given semester's 10th week (summer term, 15 class sessions.)

Drop procedures must be completed by 5 p.m. on the deadline dates specified in the Academic Calendar. After these dates a student may not drop a course for any reason.

See the Schedule of Classes for drop procedure and instructions.

Class Attendance

Regular and punctual class attendance is expected. Although in general students are graded on intellectual effort and performance rather than attendance, absences may lower the student's grade where class attendance and class participation are deemed essential by the faculty member. In those classes where attendance is considered as part of the grade, the instructor should so inform students at the semester's beginning by written notice. Any instructor who informs students in writing about the necessity of class attendance may request of the Registrar that a student be dropped from the course with a grade of WF upon the accumulation of the stated number of absences. Departments and similar academic units have authority to establish a departmentwide or coursewide policy, so long as the policy is in accord with the above stipulations.

If the instructor-initiated drop action falls within the time that the student is eligible to drop with instructor consent and without penalty, the Registrar's Office notifies the student that a WF will be recorded unless the student initiates the drop procedure, in which case a W will be assigned.

Authorized Absences

Absences due to participation in sponsored activities must be approved in advance by the department chair and academic dean. Within three days after the absence, students must obtain authorized absence cards from the dean of students for presentation to their instructors. Students with authorized absence cards may make up the work missed when practical or be give special allowance so they are not penalized for the absence.

Absence for Religious Holidays

In accordance with state law, students absent due to the observance of a religious holiday may take examinations or complete assignments scheduled for the day missed within a reasonable time after the absence if the student has notified the instructor of each class of the date of the absence within the first 15 days of the semester.

Notification must be in writing, either personally delivered with receipt of the notification acknowledged and dated by the instructor, or by certified mail, return receipt requested.

Only holidays or holy days observed by a religion for which the place of worship is exempt from property taxation under Section 11.20 of the Tax Code may be included. A student who is excused under this provision may not be penalized for the absence, but the instructor may respond appropriately if the student fails to satisfactorily complete the assignment or examination.

Withdrawal from UNT

A student may withdraw from UNT at any time prior to two weeks (summer term, six class sessions prior to finals) before the first day of final examination by making a request in the Registrar's Office. For withdrawals processed prior to the end of the sixth week of classes (summer term, eight class sessions) the grade of W is recorded for each course in which a withdrawn student was enrolled. After the sixth week of classes (summer term, eight class sessions) a withdrawn student receives grades of W only for those courses in which there were passing grades at the time of withdrawal; otherwise, the grade WF is recorded.

Official dates and deadlines for withdrawing are specified in the Academic Calendar.

Pre-Final Examinations Week

So that students can more adequately prepare for their final examinations, special rules apply to the seven calendar days preceding the final week of each fall and spring semester.

Student organizations do not meet; activities requiring student participation, such as field trips, athletic events or performances by dance, drama or music ensembles, are not scheduled unless approved in advance by the appropriate dean. Themes, reports, notebooks, research problems or exercises of similar scope are not to be assigned during this period, but students may submit previously assigned work.

Only examinations covering daily assignments, makeup tests or laboratory examinations may be given. Faculty members may not give any portion of the final examination during this seven-day period without advance approval from their academic dean.

On the Thursday and Friday of the week immediately preceding final exams, review classes shall be held. Furthermore, attendance at these reviews cannot be made mandatory and there will be no papers, projects, exams, quizzes, or like assignments due on those days. Makeup exams will be permitted to take place. The above policy will not be applicable to classes that meet only once a week and meet on Thursday or Friday.

Final Examinations

Faculty members are expected to administer final examinations at the designated times during the final week of each long semester and during the specified day of each summer term. Any deviation from the published schedule of final examinations must be approved in advance by the appropriate academic dean.

If a final examination is not given in a particular course, the faculty member is expected to utilize the final examination period for summary, evaluation or other productive purposes.

Students who have as many as three final examinations scheduled on one day may appeal to their academic dean to reschedule one of those examinations on another day during the final examination period.

Commencement Exercises

Commencement exercises are held in December, May and August. Diplomas are mailed to candidates after graduation has been verified.

General Policies

Changes of Address

It is the responsibility of the student to provide correct permanent and local mailing address information at all times and on all documents at the university. Failure to do so constitutes a breach of the Student Code of Conduct. Students who change their mailing address must notify the Registrar's Office and the Office of the Dean of Students immediately.

Identification Card Regulations

The identification card is distributed during registration after all fees have been paid. The card entitles the bearer to student admission to athletic events, University Program Council entertainment, Fine Arts Series programs, dances, movies, general access computer laboratories and the University Health Center. It provides identification at the libraries for checking out materials, at the University Union for check cashing and at Recreational Sports and the UNT Health Center for use of these facilities. The ID card also serves as the ID Plus (debit) Card and meal card for those students with meal plans. As the student's official university identification, it must be presented to any UNT official upon request.

Lost ID cards may be replaced for a $10 charge in the ID Systems Office of the Bursar's Department located in the Eagle Student Services Center, first floor. Misplaced ID cards that have been turned in are held in the ID Systems Office located in Stovall Hall. Students are asked to retain their ID cards, even though they may not be enrolled. The cards are reactivated upon subsequent enrollment.

Fraudulent use of the ID card subjects the user to a fine of $2,000 and up to one year in jail (Class A Misdemeanor). Anyone who uses the ID card to give false information to a police officer is subject to a fine of $200 (Class C Misdemeanor).

Liability for Personal Loss

The university is not responsible for and does not assume any liability for loss of or damage to personal property. A student may want to obtain personal insurance coverage for loss or damage to possessions on campus.

Motor Vehicle Regulations

Persons who operate motor vehicles and bicycles on the UNT campus must comply with the Texas Uniform Traffic Code and the published university regulations regarding vehicle and bicycle use, parking, display of decals and penalties for violation. The regulations are available at the University Police Department in Sullivant Visitor Center and are distributed to all students during enrollment.

Severe Weather Dismissals

Because of conditions prevailing during periods of severe weather, a policy was adopted regarding university operation during such times. This policy pertains to all university classes, in Denton as well as at the Dallas Downtown Education Center and at off-campus locations, unless exceptions are noted specifically in the announcements to the news media. The current policy may be found in the Schedule of Classes.


In the event a student's conduct or behavior is found to be in violation of a published policy or regulation, a summons may be issued. A summons is an official request that the student appear before a university administrator. A student who receives a summons should always consider it important and should respond immediately. Failure to answer a summons can result in disciplinary action up to and including withdrawal from the university.

Student Guidebook

The following policies and regulations are explained or recorded in full in the Student Guidebook, available on the university's web page at http://www.unt.edu. The guidebook also deals with applicable state, local and university policies, student services and programs. The student is responsible for knowing and abiding by these policies:

Additional policies and guidelines pertaining to particular subjects or for specific publics are listed in other publications, such as the ABCs of Residence Hall Living, available in the Housing and Residence Life Office; Tuition and Fee Register, available in the Bursar's Department, Parking Regulations, available from the Parking/Transportation Office and the UNT Bookstore in the University Union; The Financial Connection, available in the Financial Aid Office, etc. International students should consult the International Student and Scholar Office for information regarding policies and procedures required by federal regulation agencies.

All university policies are subject to change throughout the year.

UNT Graduate Catalog General Information Table of Contents

UNT Undergraduate Catalog Table of Contents

UNT Graduate Catalog Table of Contents

UNT Undergraduate Catalog Course and Subject Guide

UNT Graduate Catalog Course and Subject Guide

UNT Prospective Students

UNT Home Page