Student Life

Division of Student Affairs

The Division of Student Affairs offers a wide variety of opportunities for academic and personal growth, leadership development and organizational involvement. Specific offices under the direction of the vice president of Student Affairs include Financial Aid, Career Planning and Placement, Counseling and Testing, Dean of Students, Student Legal Advisor, International Programs, Recreational Sports, Coliseum/Main Auditorium, and Center for Cultural Diversity.

The Division of Student Affairs is committed to the improvement of the quality of life for students and to the enhancement of their competencies as productive citizens. The division advocates responsible behavior, supports learning and promotes the attainment of personal and cultural goals through varied activities. For information, call (940) 565-4909.

Cooperative Education

The university offers off-campus learning opportunities (paid internships) through the Cooperative Education Program. Cooperative education experiences are processes of education that formally integrate students' academic studies with practical experience in participating organizations. Through this integration of study and practical experience, students may enhance their academic knowledge, their personal development and their professional preparation. The teaching faculty and on-site supervisors share in the education of cooperative education students.

Alternating semester (full-time), parallel (part-time) and summer (full-time or part-time) positions are available through the program for undergraduate students who have a 2.5 or higher grade point average and have completed at least 12 hours at UNT. Graduate students must be admitted to a graduate degree program, have a 3.0 or higher GPA and must have completed at least 9 semester hours.

Openings are available primarily for juniors, seniors and graduate students. Students should begin their co-op experience at least one year prior to graduation. All positions listed through the Cooperative Education Program are paid positions.

No more than 12 credit hours for bachelor's degree candidates and six credit hours for master's degree candidates may be earned through internships. Internship credit hours may be applied as part of the major or professional field, approved supporting courses, as free electives, or as academic credit in addition to degree requirements, as determined by the appropriate academic dean.

For further information, contact Cooperative Education, Chilton Hall, Room 204.

Counseling and Testing Center

The center provides confidential, professional psychological services to currently enrolled students. Faculty and staff may be seen on an emergency basis for evaluation. Individual counseling related to personal, social and emotional concerns; vocational counseling for help with selection of a major field of study or career plan; educational counseling; counseling for help with reading, study skills and learning difficulties; and marital and premarital counseling are offered at the center. All individual counseling is limited to eight sessions.

Group counseling is offered at various times in such areas as improving interpersonal skills, overcoming eating disorders and coping with sexual abuse, among others.

The Reading and Study Skills Lab (RASSL)

The lab offers a variety of programs in such areas as speed reading, vocabulary building, test-taking skills, study skills and tutoring referral.

The Center for Career Choice (CCC)

This center contains a wide selection of information about occupations and career opportunities with career exploration groups offered throughout the year. It also contains SIGI (Systematic Interactive Guidance and Information), a computerized career exploration and information system.

In addition to the vocational interest, aptitude, personality and other tests used in counseling, the center also serves as a National Testing Center. Information and application forms for various national tests are available in the center's office.

The center is in the University Union, Suite 231; (940) 565-2741.

Dean of Students

Staff members of this office are available for general counseling or information and assistance with any phase of campus life. In emergency situations (i.e., death in the family) special assistance can be provided for notification of professors, medical withdrawal, etc. The office provides policy interpretation and rights adjustment upon request, handles disciplinary and social adjustment problems, and provides self-development opportunities and enrichment activities via a number of subunits, including Student Employment, the Student Activities Center and Disability Accommodation. For information, call (940) 565-2648.

Commuter and Nontraditional Student Services

The university provides a number of services to commuter students through various offices. Special assistance with problems and liaison for proper referrals, in addition to self-help materials for off-campus living, day-care and other issues is available through a unit of the Dean of Students Office, Commuter Services. Additionally, information concerning area van pools and the UNT car-pool service is available during registration each semester for area commuters and Denton residents. The office is located on the fourth floor of the University Union in the Student Activities Center.

A privately owned commuter bus service provides transportation from various stops in the Metroplex. Bus schedules are available and tickets may be purchased at the Union Information Center.

The University Union provides lounge areas, rental lockers (available on a semester basis) and food service. Contact the University Union Office at (940) 565-2611, for more information.

Intercultural Services

The Office of Intercultural Services works cooperatively with the Dean of Students Office to provide educational, cultural and social programs and activities to enhance intercultural awareness at the university. The office is located in the University Union, Room 319; (940) 565-2612.

Student Activities Center

The Student Activities Center (SAC) provides leadership training, organization advisement, and official registration for all student organizations at the university. For information, call (940) 565-3807.

Student Employment Service

The Student Employment Service, located in the University Union, Room 324, provides a variety of employment opportunities on and off campus to currently enrolled students to help them offset their college expenses and develop good work records. For information, call (940) 565-2425.

International Studies and Programs

The Office of International Studies and Programs and its constituent units are responsible for providing services to all students who wish to include an international perspective as part of their education or who are citizens of other countries.

The office's Study Abroad Center provides information on UNT-sponsored exchange, faculty-led and other study abroad programs. It also gives advice and assistance to graduate students wishing to apply for international graduate study under the Fulbright Program or other exchange programs. Study abroad advisers are available in Kendall Hall, Room 146.

The International Student and Scholar Office for Admissions and Advising (ISSOAA) assists students who are citizens of other countries and provides orientation, immigration and university-related advising, as well as student programming. The office also works closely with the Intensive English Language Institute to aid in immigration matters for those international students enrolled in courses providing additional English instruction.

The International Student and Scholar Office for Admissions and Advising is in Kendall Hall, Room 171.

International Students Health Insurance Policy

All international students are required to have health insurance before enrolling at the university. Evidence of health insurance coverage must be presented annually to the International Student and Scholar Office for Admissions and Advising prior to registration. Coverage must be in effect continuously from the time the student initially enrolls at the University of North Texas through all enrollment periods until final separation from the university.

Placement Service

The university provides a Career Planning and Placement Service (CPPS) that is available to seniors, graduate students and all former students. Every effort is made to assist registered candidates as they seek full-time employment in education, business, industry, government or service organizations.

The office maintains information on employers, job listings, salaries and supply/demand trends, as well as other aids for the job search.

For students seeking employment in the fields of business, industry, government or service organizations, the best time to register with CPPS is around July 15 prior to graduating the following December, May or August.

Education candidates graduating or earning teacher certification in December should register prior to the fall term. May and August candidates should register prior to the spring term.

It should be noted, however, that there is no deadline for registering with the CPPS.

There is no registration fee for currently enrolled students to register; however, there are nominal mailing fees. A service fee is charged to former students.

The Career Planning and Placement Service is located on the third level of the University Union in the Student Services area.

NT Connection

NT Connection is a volunteer organization that links current students, faculty, staff and alumni in an effort to enhance new student success and satisfaction with the University of North Texas. The Buddy program connects new students with a peer mentor. Free tutoring in a variety of subjects, information and guidance with regard to resources, procedures, services and careers may be obtained from the Buddy System, the Volunteer Tutor and Mentor groups. For more information, call (940) 565-3553 or write NT Connection, Box 305358, Denton, TX 76203-5358.

The Student Legal Advisor

The student legal advisor, available on an appointment basis, provides advice and assistance to students with legal concerns of a civil nature. Mediation is available through the UNT Alternative Dispute Resolution Program in collaboration with a public dispute resolution center. Mediation sessions are conducted by trained neutral mediators. The office is in Chilton Hall, Room 238B; (940) 565-2614.

Student Activities Information and Services

Adaptive Computer Laboratory

Any UNT student, faculty and staff with a valid UNT ID card can use the Adaptive Computer Laboratory facilities. Students registered with UNT's Office of Disability Accommodation (ODA) have preemptive privileges when the laboratory is full or when specific adaptive equipment is needed. Students are encouraged to visit the laboratory early in the semester and become familiar with equipment and services.

The Adaptive Computer Laboratory is located in Chilton Hall, Room 116. Chilton Hall is on the corner of Chestnut and Avenue C across from the Health Center. To contact the Adaptive Computer Laboratory, call (940) 565-4750, TDD Access through Relay Texas: (800) 735-2989, or write to:

Adaptive Computer Laboratory
P.O. Box 311340
Denton, TX 76203-1340

The laboratory also may be accessed through the Internet at

Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management

The Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management provides the administrative structure for continuing education academic programs and public service to meet professional education and career development requirements of adult groups.

Continuing education programs (conferences, seminars, workshops, etc.) for all of the schools and colleges of the university are coordinated by the center. This assistance includes financial planning in accordance with official university procedures; arrangements for housing, food service, meeting space, transportation and audiovisual equipment; and assistance with preregistration and on-site registration.

Continuing education credit is awarded by the center and these records, which are kept on permanent file, are reported to the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools as an important part of the accreditation process.

Numerous minicourses on general interest topics, GRE/GMAT preparation classes, and extension credit courses are offered throughout the year.

The center is responsible for arranging and scheduling the use of university facilities for all off-campus groups and for faculty and staff groups for purposes other than credit classes.

The Center for Continuing Education and Conference Management is located in Chilton Hall, Room 289. For additional information, call (940) 565-2656, or write to the director, P.O. Box 305344, Denton, TX 76203-5344.

Center for Cultural Diversity

The Center for Cultural Diversity opened on November 3, 1995, to serve all UNT students, faculty and staff. The center's primary purpose is to support and enhance a welcoming environment at UNT which fosters communication across cultures and honors all people. The center addresses the needs of minority groups on campus; however, the overall focus is inclusive.

The center serves as a central resource for a broad spectrum of campus individuals and groups looking for specific information. Staff members collect and make available information of special interest to various groups, including information about internships and scholarships, as well as conferences, exchange programs, guest speakers, workshops and other educational opportunities. Additionally, the center provides and promotes cultural awareness, both on campus and in the broader community.

The center is located in the University Union, Room 410.

Center for Instructional Services (CIS)

The Center for Instructional Services is a full-service media production center that serves the faculty, staff and students of UNT. The center features professional-quality audio, graphics, photography and video production. Audiovisual technical engineering, design and repair are available. The center offers instructional design and development for all projects. CIS also distributes a variety of media supplies and materials, such as slide trays, 35mm film, video tapes, audio tapes and microcomputer diskettes.

The graphics area produces high-quality original art, typography, illustration and design for use on posters, graphs, overhead transparencies, brochures and other types of informational visual aids, and can provide photomechanical transfers, computer-designed graphics, laminating and dry-mounting.

The photography area provides studio, copy-stand and on-location slides and prints; develops and prints black and white film; handles processing and duplication of color prints and slides; and makes high-contrast kodaliths or color slides from printed illustrations, typography, graphics and original art.

The audio area features a studio equipped for four-track and stereo recording and editing, on location recording of campus events and tape duplication.

The video area designs and produces original video programs using single- or multi-camera programs in a variety of formats. Programs can be videotaped on location or recorded and edited in the video production studio. Editing, duplication and transfer of BETACAM, SVHS and 1/2 VHS formats are available.

The technical services area repairs media hardware, provides consultation about technical specifications and proper hardware use and provides maintenance for audiovisual equipment.

The center is in Chilton Hall, Room 211; (940) 565-2180.

Dining Service

Variety in selections, freedom of choice, an all-you-can-eat policy and self-serve salad bars are features of UNT's residence hall dining service. An open dining policy allows all students and guests access to any dining area continuously from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. with a grill operation open until 9 p.m.

Faculty, staff, students and guests may purchase meals individually or by use of a prepaid ID Plus Card. A 10 percent discount is deducted from the purchase with the use of ID Plus. The UNT ID Plus Card permits students, faculty and staff to make purchases using their UNT ID at a variety of places on campus without cash, checks, credit cards or the need to show a driver's license, and without interest, penalties or fees. To access the UNT ID Plus service, a minimum deposit is required in this pre-approved account at either the University Union Information Center or the Dining Services Office, Crumley Hall.

Students living off campus may purchase full-service meal plans in the Dining Services Office at current board rates.

Union Dining Services provides breakfast, lunch and dinner selections during the long semesters, and breakfast and lunch are available during the summer sessions.

Health Center

The Student Health Center is equipped with examination and treatment rooms, a clinical laboratory, pharmacy and x-ray. Medical services are available when school is in session to enrolled students paying the medical service fee. No medical care is available between semesters or on official university holidays. For a major emergency, call 911. the Student Health Center operates on an appointment system. Call 565-2333 to make an appointment

Hours of operation: Clinic Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 6 p.m.; Saturday Urgent Care Clinic 9 a.m. - noon; Pharmacy Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. - 6:45 p.m. and Saturday, 9 a.m. - 12:45 p.m.; Summer clinic hours Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

The Health Center professional staff includes licensed physicians and nurses; certified lab technologists; certified medical radiological technologists; registered pharmacists; certified health educators; and administrative,
business and medical records personnel. Also available are psychiatrists, an allergist, a registered dietitian, a registered massage therapist and a personal fitness trainer.

Office visits to a physician or nurse are free, but charges are assessed for ancillary services and special supplies and treatments. The student may pay with cash, check, ID Plus or credit card, or may open a charge account and pay monthly. Statements will be sent to the parent with the student's written permission.

The Health Center files insurance claims for those patients subscribing to the university-sponsored health insurance plan. Other patients receive information at the time of service to file with their insurance carrier. The Health Center is not a provider on the University employee health insurance plan.

Medical information is confidential and is not released to others without a release signed by the patient. If a parent requests information for a minor, the Health Center is obligated to provide the information.

A full-service pharmacy is located inside the Health Center. Prescriptions from private physicians can be filled at the pharmacy. The pharmacy accepts some PCS and Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas Prescription Drug Cards with co-payment.

The Health Education Program provides individual health counseling, outreach programs to campus groups and special programs for specific health needs. Contact the Health Education Coordination at 565-2787 for a complete list of offerings.

A licensed nurse administers allergy injections. Patients must bring their antigen and current orders (date cannot exceed one year) from their allergist. For more information, obtain a current "Allergy Policy" from the Student Health Center.

The Student Health Center recommends that all students have current immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, rubella, mumps, measles, and hepatitis B.

Health Insurance Program

A group student health insurance plan is offered by a non-university-affiliated carrier for students enrolled at UNT. Application forms are available in the Dean of Students Office. It is compulsory for international students on non-immigrant visas to carry medical and hospitalization insurance.

International students are billed with tuition and fees unless they have alternate insurance coverage. Waivers are available in the International Student and Scholar Office for Admissions and Advising, Kendall Hall, Room 171, for students who show proof of alternate insurance coverage.

Living Accommodations

Graduate men and women may live in university-owned residence halls or in off-campus housing.

College Inn and Crumley Hall are targeted for upper-class housing, although this is not guaranteed. More information regarding university-owned residence halls may be obtained by writing to the Housing Department, University of North Texas, P.O. Box 311310, Denton, TX 76203-1310, or calling (940) 565-2610.

Off-Campus Housing. Students who are not required to live in university housing under the terms of the housing policy may live where they choose. The university does not assume any responsibility in off-campus housing arrangements but does support the federal housing policies that housing owners not discriminate because of race, color, sex, age, disability, veteran status or national origin.

The Student Association publishes an apartment evaluation survey that is available in their office on the fourth level of the University Union.

Speech and Hearing Center

The University of North Texas Speech and Hearing Center is open during the academic year and offers diagnostic and remediation services for adults and children presenting communication disorders.

Specific services provided include audiological tests, hearing aid evaluations, aural rehabilitation programs as well as evaluations and therapy programs for articulation, language, voice and fluency disorders.

The clinical services in speech-language pathology and audiology are accredited by the Professional Services Board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.

The Speech and Hearing Center is located in the Speech and Drama Building on campus. Services are free to enrolled students. Fees for services are charged to all others based on a sliding scale according to gross income and number of dependents.

Televised Instruction

The University of North Texas is a member of a consortium of colleges and universities in the North Texas area called the Association for Higher Education (AHE), formerly TAGER. UNT uses a closed-circuit television network operated by AHE to transmit and receive a limited number of graduate courses. Currently UNT transmits graduate courses in business administration and computer science to selected industrial sites and business locations in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and to the campuses of certain members of the AHE. Selected courses not offered by UNT but offered by neighboring colleges and universities via the AHE network can be received.

For further information, write to the UNT AHE Coordinator, Business Education Division, College of Education, University of North Texas, Denton, TX 76203.

University Program Council

The University Program Council offers a co-curricular learning experience through involvement in student program committees that provide films, travel, outdoor recreation, concerts and dances, arts and lectures, promotion and special events. UPC is part of the University Union and is funded in part by the Union fee paid by students. UPC members welcome suggestions and ideas from all students. Committee membership is open to any interested student. The UPC Office is located on the fourth level of the University Union.

University Union

The University Union is the community center for all university students, faculty, staff, alumni and guests. The Union is more than a building; it is also an organization and a program. Together these aspects represent a well-considered plan for the community life of the university.

A 500-seat theater and meeting and banquet rooms are available for university or community groups. Four food service areas provide specialty foods and full cafeteria service.

The UNT Bookstore, University Post Office and Student Services (Counseling and Testing, Career Planning and Placement, Financial Aid (including scholarships), Student Employment, Dean of Students and Cultural Diversity Center (Interim)) are housed in the Union.

The Union also offers a recreation area, TV viewing, the Art Center (graphics needs and a public fax), entertainment at almost any time of day and an automatic bank teller machine. Check cashing, updates on activities or programs, tickets to campus events and discount tickets to Metroplex movie and amusement parks are available at the Information Center located on the third level near the southwest entrance.

For further information contact the Union Information Center at (940) 565-3805. Contact the Verde! Reservations Office at (940) 565-3806 for facility-use arrangements.

University Writing Center

The University Writing Center provides free tutoring and workshops for students from the freshman through the graduate levels. Individualized and group work in such areas as punctuation, grammar, sentence structure and essay writing is provided by experienced tutors five days and four evenings a week for 13 weeks during each long term and five weeks during each summer term.

The Writing Center also houses the UNT grammar/writing hotline, (940) 565-4311. Students, faculty, staff and community members who have questions about any aspect of grammar or writing may call the hotline Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The primary purpose of the Writing Center is to promote more and better-written composition by students at all levels. Students are encouraged to visit the Writing Center, in the Auditorium Building, Room 105, to discuss their writing abilities.

Student Activities

Fine Arts Series

In addition to recitals, concerts and dramatic productions performed by UNT faculty members and students, the Fine Arts Series, coordinated by a student-faculty committee, brings to campus music, drama, dance, art and literary performances presented by nationally prominent artists. The Fine Arts Series offers students valuable opportunities to enhance their cultural education. UNT students may receive free tickets to performances by presenting a current UNT ID to the ticket seller, and faculty and staff are admitted at half price. General public tickets are available at the University Union Information Center or at the door for each presentation.

Graduate Student Council

The Graduate Student Council was established in 1968 to assure formal avenues of communication between representatives of the graduate student body and both the dean of the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies and the University Graduate Council. It serves as an advisory council to facilitate an interchange of views and information between these groups. Two members of the Graduate Student Council are elected annually to serve as voting members of the University Graduate Council. Graduate Student Council members also serve on other graduate council and universitywide committees. The president of the council can be reached by contacting the Toulouse School of Graduate Studies.

Organizations Policy

The University of North Texas recognizes the right of any group of students, faculty or staff to form a voluntary organization for purposes not forbidden by the laws of the United States or the state of Texas. All organizations that include enrolled students as members must be registered with the Student Activities Center if they will use any university facilities, space or grounds for meetings.

Policies regulating the organization, functioning, sponsorship and privileges of registered or recognized organizations are available in the Student Activities Center on the fourth level of the University Union (940) 565-3807.

Recreational Sports and Intercollegiate Athletics

Both the Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreational Sports programs at UNT offer a wide range of opportunities for recreation. Accessible sports facilities include an 18-hole golf course, a weight-training building, ten lighted tennis courts, swimming pool, two gymnasiums, Fouts Field and the Coliseum. Facilities in the Coliseum include handball and racquetball courts and gymnastics equipment. The Physical Education Building contains a multipurpose gymnasium, handball/racquetball courts and an indoor aquatics area.

The university offers extensive intramural, sport clubs, open recreation and recreational instruction programs to provide students with recreational and competitive opportunities. Any male or female student enrolled for residence credit hours may participate in intramurals through one of three leagues: residence hall, Greek or independent. Team sports are arranged on a round-robin basis, and individual and dual sports are set up by elimination tournaments, meets and special events. Co-rec tournaments also are held in many sports activities.

The sport clubs program offers 17 clubs that compete against other colleges and universities in the Texas area. The clubs include Aikido, badminton, baseball, bicycling, billiards, fencing, gymnastics, martial arts, racquetball, rugby, sailing, men's soccer, fast pitch softball, swimming, table tennis, ultimate disc, and men's volleyball. A student must be enrolled for at least 6 semester hours to compete as a representative of UNT on a sport club team.

The recreational instruction program offers students exciting activities for a small fee. Aerobic dance, step aerobics, step/slide combo aerobics, water aerobics, body sculpting and other activities provide the student with a variety of programs from which to choose. A Learn to Swim Program for children of students, faculty and staff also is offered.

The open recreation program in the Physical Education Building offers currently enrolled students, current and retired faculty and staff, drop-in activity in badminton, basketball, handball, racquetball and volleyball.

A weight room for recreational use is located in the Men's Gymnasium and offers BodyMasters equipment, Stairmasters, Universal treadmills, free weights and exercise bikes to students, faculty and staff, and their families, who have a valid ID card. For information concerning hours of operation, call the Recreational Sports Office at (940) 565-2275.

Religious Activities and Organizations

Campus ministries and student centers sponsored by different denominations and the churches of Denton, as well as campus religious organizations, offer opportunities for personal counseling and for social and spiritual involvement.

A list of campus religious organizations is available in the Student Activities Center on the fourth level of the University Union (940) 565-3807.

Student Association

The Student Association (SA) was organized in 1976 from a nucleus provided by the former organization, Student Government Association. The goals of SA are to promote the interests and opinions of the student body, to promote projects beneficial to the students and to act as an official voice of the students on matters of policy and student welfare.

Existing Student Association services include the Eagle's Nest Interorganizational Council, the faculty, staff, student directory and the Guide to Off-Campus Housing, among others. The Student Association offices are located on the fourth level of the University Union.

The UNT student can become involved in SA through election or appointment. The president, vice president and a majority of the representatives are elected; executive officers are appointed by the SA president, subject to the approval of the representative assembly. Association meetings are held every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the University Union, Room 411, during the long terms and are open to the public. For more information, call (940) 565-3850.

Special Services

Office of Disability Accommodation

An equal opportunity institution, the University of North Texas complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and Section 504 of the 1973 Rehabilitation Act in making reasonable adjustments in its policies for qualified students with disabilities who wish to participate in its education programs. The Office of Disability Accommodation assists with registration and scheduling and furnishes certain educational auxiliary aids for students whose disabilities necessitate special accommodations. Students requiring special accommodations because of a disability should notify the Office of Disability Accommodation at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester of enrollment.

For further information, contact the Office of Disability Accommodation, University Union, Room 318A; (940) 565-4323. TDD access: (940) 565-2958.

Services for the Blind

Appointments with the Commission for the Blind to provide support services to visually disabled college students in the North Central Texas area may be made by calling a counselor through the access number (800) 252-5204. To be eligible for services, a person must have a visual disability constituting a vocational disability that can reasonably be expected to be overcome by services provided. Students may make application to the office in their home community or call the contact number for more information.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Texas Rehabilitation Commission provides services for qualified individuals who have physical, learning or emotional impairments. Examples of these are diabetes, hearing impairment, heart problems, orthopedic problems, dyslexia, arthritis, adjustment disorders and countless other disorders that can create difficulty in successfully mastering college-level classroom training. Services include financial assistance, job placement, counseling and guidance, and physical restoration.

Application for services must be made through a representative of the commission. Students interested in applying for services should contact the office in their home community or contact Texas Rehabilitation Commission, 1213 North Locust, Clear Creek Office Park, Suite K, Denton, TX 76201-1213; (940) 383-1521. The UNT/TWU representative can be reached at (940) 565-2773.

UNT Graduate Catalog General Information Table of Contents

UNT Undergraduate Catalog Table of Contents

UNT Graduate Catalog Table of Contents

UNT Undergraduate Catalog Course and Subject Guide

UNT Graduate Catalog Course and Subject Guide

UNT Prospective Students

UNT Home Page