Business Administration Building, 336
P.O. Box 305249
Denton, TX 76203-5249
Fax: (940) 565-4935
Web site: www.unt.edu/bcis/
Professors Guynes, CDP; Prybutok; M. Richards; T.C. Richards, CQE; Vanecek, CDP, CISA, PE, Texas; Windsor, CSP. Associate Professors Becker; Clayton; Jayakumar, Kappelman, Kvanli, CQE; Pavur; Spalding; Spence; Vedder; Yellen, CDP. Assistant Professors Golladay, CDP. Lecturer Capan.
The Department of Business Computer Information Systems educates business computer information systems designers and systems analysts for careers in industry and government. Two strong undergraduate programs are available for students who intend to pursue careers in the growing business computing field.
The department offers undergraduate and graduate programs in the following areas:
General requirements for the BBA are listed in the "General University Requirements " and the "University Core Curriculum Requirements " in the Academics section of this catalog and under "Bachelor of Business Administration" in the College of Business Administration section.
The professional field in business computer information systems requires 18 hours of the following courses.
BUSI 4660 (or MKTG 4280 or FINA 4500, if approved in advance by the departmental undergraduate coordinator). The remaining hours are selected from 3000- or 4000-level BCIS courses. BCIS 4800 cannot be used as a supporting course. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved in writing in advance by the departmental undergraduate coordinator.
A minimum of 12 semester hours of courses from the professional field and supporting field must be taken at UNT, including one course each in the four areas of systems design, data processing management, hardware-software configuration and file control-maintenance. C programming (CSCI 1040 or CSCI 1110) must be completed by each student in this program. Students are encouraged to use free electives to meet professional goals.
Students interested in the theoretical and mathematical science of computing should see the Department of Computer Sciences.
1. It is recommended that students selecting business computer information systems as a professional field for the BBA degree meet at least one of the following standards:
a. be in the top 25 percent of their high school graduating class; or
b. attain a minimum score of 920 recentered on the SAT I or 20 on the ACT.
2. It is required that students selecting business computer information systems as a professional field have a 2.5 GPA in all courses completed at UNT and have a transfer GPA of at least 2.5.
3. A grade of C or better is required in each previously taken BCIS or CSCI course for enrollment in any senior-level BCIS course.
4. Academic requirements for graduation with a professional field in BCIS include:
a. a minimum GPA of 2.5 in all course work at UNT;
b. a minimum GPA of 2.5 in advanced hours (3000- and 4000-level courses) attempted in the professional field and supporting courses; and
c. a grade of C or better in each BCIS course taken in the professional field, supporting BCIS courses or career track.
The faculty of the Department of Business Computer Information Systems believes that there is a need in industry and government for systems analysts who have a thorough understanding of both a functional area of business and computer-based information systems. This degree offers an opportunity for an in-depth study in one of six career tracks.
The following requirements must be satisfied for a Bachelor of Science with a major in business computer information systems.
1. Hours for the Degree: A minimum of 127 semester hours of preprofessional and professional course work as outlined below.
2. General University Requirements: See "General University Requirements " and "University Core Curriculum Requirements" in the Academics section of this catalog, and "Preprofessional Requirements" in this section of the catalog.
3. Business Foundation Requirements: See "Professional Program Requirements " in this section of the catalog.
4. Professional Program Requirements: See "Professional Program Requirements " in this section of the catalog.
5. Minor: See "Professional Program Requirements " in this section of the catalog.
6. Other Course Requirements:
7. Other Requirements:
Graduation with this BS degree requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on each of the following:
The following courses are required for the program.
I. Social Sciences and Philosophy*
II. Crosscultural and Global Studies*
III. Diversity in the United States*
* See "University Core Curriculum Requirements" in the academics section of this catalog for lists of approved courses.
(Note 1) Core Competencies and Requirements The minimum competencies in Reading and Critical Thinking are demonstrated by successful completion of the TASP test. Competence in Computer Use, Oral Communication, Writing and Information Access, Mathematics, and Wellness must be satisfied by course credit as specified in the Preprofessional Program. This program requires specific courses contained in parts of the University Core Curriculum (see "University Core Curriculum Requirements" in the Academics section of this catalog) to satisfy particular degree requirements. Students may consult program advisers for a list of required courses. Students may be required to take extra courses if they fail to take these courses.
The following courses are required for the professional program Bachelor of Science with a major in business computer information systems:
The department offers degree programs leading to the Master of Business Administration with majors in business computer information systems and management science, and the Doctor of Philosophy with majors in business computer information systems and management science. For information, consult the Graduate Catalog.
Top | College of Business Administration |UNT Undergraduate Catalog Shortcuts | Additional Undergraduate Literature